One Vibration

One Vision - One Vibration

Music plays an integral role in the life of Native Americans. It is used for ceremonial purposes, recreation, expression, and healing. There are many different instruments used when making Native American music, including drums, flutes, and other percussion instruments. Perhaps the most important element of their music is the voice.

Vocals are the backbone of the music made in Native American cultures. Unusual, irregular rhythms and a somewhat off-key style of singing is used. No harmony is ever incorporated, although sometimes many people sing at once, and other times the vocals are solo. The Native American vocals are passionate, used to invoke spirits, ask for rain or healing, or are used to heal the sick. In most cases, the men and women of the tribes sing separate songs, and have their own dances. The men typically dance around in a circle, while the women usually dance in place.

Many researchers feel that Native American music is some of the most complex ever performed. The tensing and releasing of the vocals combined with varying drum beats makes it a very intricate form of art. Another interesting item of note is that every region of the country where the Native Americans had settled produced greatly varying forms and sounds of music. With so many different tribes, the music produced is always unique to its specific group. Generally, Eskimo music has been touted as being the most simple of all of the Native American music styles, while the Hopi, Pueblo, and Zuni tribes of the Southwestern part of the country have been known to produce much more complex sounding music. The emotion invoked from Native American music has been a great influence in modern folk music. In addition, tribal music is still very popular among music fans, and Native American CDs sell fairly well, even in today’s modern climate.

http://www.indians.org/articles/native-american-music.html

Views: 1397

Replies to This Discussion

Dance Schay, Dance!!!

Great Spirit,
give us hearts to understand;
Never to take from creation's beauty more than we give;
Never to destroy wantonly for the furtherance of greed;
Never to deny to give our hands for the building of earth's beauty;
Never to take from her what we cannot use.
Give us hearts to understand
That to destroy earth's music is to create confusion;
That to wreck her appearance is to blind us to beauty;
That to callously pollute her fragrance is to make a house of stench;
That as we care for her she will care for us.
We have forgotten who we are.
We have sought only our own security.
We have exploited simply for our own ends.
We have distorted our knowledge.
We have abused our power.
Great Spirit, whose dry lands thirst,
help us to find the way to refresh your lands.
Great Spirit, whose waters are choked with debris and pollution,
help us to find the way to cleanse your waters.
Great Spirit, whose beautiful earth grows ugly with mis-use,
help us to find the way to restore beauty to your handiwork.
Great Spirit, whose creatures are being destroyed,
help us to find a way to replenish them.
Great Spirit, whose gifts to us are being lost
in selfishness and corruption,
help us to find the way to restore our humanity.

That was Beautiful Aurora

Other songs that pull my heart strings are done by Sacred Spirit. Their music is a little westernized but to me it makes it more enjoyable.

I know what you mean...

Yeha Noha Eugene, wishing you happiness and prosperity also :o)))

Absolutely beautiful flute style.

This really speaks to my heart.

Do they still work as 'wind talkers' in the army? I think that was strategically an excellent move by the army but it is sad that they considered them expendable in order to protect the code.

Absolutely beautiful, and yet haunting at the same time. I just close my eyes and let the music and words take me where ever I am to go.

Tony Redhouse, of the Navajo nation, is a
Native American sound healer, spiritual
teacher, inspirational speaker, Eagle/Hoop
dancer and award winning recording artist.

This is pure heaven.

Who knows what tomorrow brings
In a world where few hearts survive.
All I know is the way I feel
If its real Ill keep it alive

The road is long
And there are mountains in our way
But we climb a step everyday

Love lift us up where we belong
Where the eagels cry on a mountain high
Far from the worlds we know
Up where the clear winds blow

Some hang on what used to be
They live their lives, looking behind.
When all we have is here and now
All our lives up there to find.

The road is long
And there are mountains in our way
But we climb a step everyday

Up where the clear winds blow.

Time goes by
No time to cry
Lifes you and I
Alive. Today.

Up where the clear winds blow

RSS

Online Magazine

About

Submit your article

Use your credit card or bank account or Pay Pal at the link above. We THANK YOU for your support! 

OV Networking Toolbox

How to Articles
HELP Department

Latest Activity

Maggie Mystic posted videos
1 minute ago
Lynda Colter-Bergh shared Lux OV Admin's photo on Facebook
13 minutes ago
Christopher OV Admin shared Dragon Chimes OV Admin's discussion on Facebook
33 minutes ago
Christopher OV Admin shared Dragon Chimes OV Admin's discussion on Facebook
34 minutes ago
Christopher OV Admin shared rose's discussion on Facebook
35 minutes ago
Christopher OV Admin shared Amethyst Star's discussion on Facebook
36 minutes ago
Maggie Mystic left a comment for Jilly OV Admin
40 minutes ago
AuroRa - OV Admin replied to AuroRa - OV Admin's discussion DAILY OM: TODAY'S INSPIRATION in the group ❤BUDDHISTS AT HEART❤
43 minutes ago
Gun-Britt Lund replied to Gun-Britt Lund's discussion Heavenletter #4899 The Interconnectedness of Everything on Earth , April 24, 2014 in the group Portal of Peace and Light
49 minutes ago
Gun-Britt Lund replied to Gun-Britt Lund's discussion Today´s point of peace - April 24, 2014 - Dawn Katar and the Ascended Masters in the group Portal of Peace and Light
51 minutes ago
Gun-Britt Lund replied to Gun-Britt Lund's discussion Message of light - STOPPING - Alexandra Solnado - April 23, 2014 in the group Portal of Peace and Light
57 minutes ago
Gun-Britt Lund replied to Gun-Britt Lund's discussion Message of light - STOPPING - Alexandra Solnado - April 23, 2014 in the group Portal of Peace and Light
57 minutes ago
Gun-Britt Lund replied to Gun-Britt Lund's discussion 23rd & 24th April 2014: Cardinal Grand Cross by SarahVarcas on 23/04/2014 in the group Portal of Peace and Light
59 minutes ago
Gun-Britt Lund replied to Gun-Britt Lund's discussion 23rd & 24th April 2014: Cardinal Grand Cross by SarahVarcas on 23/04/2014 in the group Portal of Peace and Light
1 hour ago
Carmen Stanescu replied to Gun-Britt Lund's discussion Heavenletter #4899 The Interconnectedness of Everything on Earth , April 24, 2014 in the group Portal of Peace and Light
1 hour ago
Carmen Stanescu replied to Gun-Britt Lund's discussion Today´s point of peace - April 24, 2014 - Dawn Katar and the Ascended Masters in the group Portal of Peace and Light
1 hour ago
Carmen Stanescu replied to Gun-Britt Lund's discussion Message of light - STOPPING - Alexandra Solnado - April 23, 2014 in the group Portal of Peace and Light
1 hour ago
Gun-Britt Lund shared Dragon Chimes OV Admin's discussion on Facebook
1 hour ago
Carmen Stanescu replied to rose's discussion Today’s Science Has Found That Mixing Honey and Cinnamon Cures Most Diseases in the group Nature's Gifts for Health
1 hour ago
Carmen Stanescu replied to Gun-Britt Lund's discussion 23rd & 24th April 2014: Cardinal Grand Cross by SarahVarcas on 23/04/2014 in the group Portal of Peace and Light
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by rose.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service